Checkers Catering & Special Events is proud to be the first GREEN caterer in the Tri-Valley. Since 2006, we have been adhering to strict guidelines set by Alameda County in order to maintain our GREEN business status and help protect the world we live in. We have reduced our environmental impact by using less energy and reducing our waste; utilizing local foods, green products and services as much as possible: and by building support from our clients, vendors and the local community.
Our Green efforts include:
- Comprehensive recycling program for cardboard, food waste, paper, plastic & metal containers diverts approx 1k cubic yards annually.
- Food, paper and floral waste, approx 600 cubic yards annually, are composted reducing landfill waste.
- 400+ gallons of cooking oil recycled annually.
- Deliveries are on re-usable equipment unless otherwise requested by the client.
- Installed water-conserving dishwasher & low-flow pre-rinse/scrap collector preventing food waste from entering drainage system.
- Re-usable, biodegradable and compostable items have replaced disposables.
- Installed automatic lighting controls & energy efficient fluorescent bulbs to reduce energy consumption.
- Paper products in office & kitchen are 100% post consumer products.
- Eliminated the use of non-recyclable Styrofoam.
- "To Go" containers are biocompostable.
- "Fair Trade" coffee and teas used exclusively.
- Food waste & recyclables from events brought back & disposed of properly.
- Service vehicles are carefully maintained and serviced for optimal efficiency.
- Created an eco awareness program so employees understand our commitment to maintaining & protecting our environment.
- Influenced our largest vendor, US Foods, a $40B/Yr company, to become a certified Green business.
- Executive Chef Kathleen Hoffman continues to teach sustainability classes for caterers through her involvement with the International Caterers Association.
- Continue to evaluate our efforts, implement improvements and reinforce our stated mission to our customers and our company.
Read a feature article regarding Checkers' Green Business efforts.